Opinion & Analysis
- Monday, Oct 26, 2020Far from loosening incarceration’s grip, modern tools like predictive policing and tracking apps have instead deepened the carceral state’s influence over everyday life.
- Monday, Oct 26, 2020Decades of reform have built an agile, deadly force that pushes millions of people into the largest carceral system in the world.
- Friday, Sep 25, 2020Why should the Supreme Court, an unelected body that is richer, whiter, and more male than the United States is, continue to have such outsized power in the lives of ordinary people?
- Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020Boseman's influence extended beyond the industry. Through all of his movies he inspired moviegoers around the world, challenging preconceived ideas about who we could be. The countless stories of Black children elated by seeing Black Panther on screen reflect the power and potential of cinema. Boseman represented that power and that potential.
- Wednesday, Sep 16, 2020It would be easy to underestimate the significance of the actions taken by these athletes because of their wealth and celebrity. But it is simply incredible that many players, for some during the playoffs for their various leagues, have violated their contracts, withdrawn their labor, and demanded that this country change.
- Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020
Joe Biden began his speech to accept the Democratic Party’s nomination with a quote from the civil-rights radical and Black revolutionary Ella Baker: “Give people light and they will find a way.” Though Baker may have been commenting on her particular approach to organizing, Biden used the line as an analogy for his campaign to replace Donald Trump.
- Monday, Aug 24, 2020Cuts to public services that might mitigate poverty and promote social mobility have become a perpetual excuse for more police.
- Friday, Jul 24, 2020Barbara Smith and the Black feminist visionaries of the Combahee River Collective.
- Friday, Jul 10, 2020Confederate statues represent the myths and lies that underlie the persistent racism in American society. To tear down these symbols of historical oppression is to declare a new age, one in which we confront—rather than glorify—our history and confront the reality of who we are in the present.
- Friday, Jul 10, 2020I ask of this Independence Day: What to Black Americans is the Fourth of July?