- Tuesday, Aug 4, 2020Like police violence against people of color, this isn’t a new issue. Activists and scholars like Angela Davis and Ruth Wilson Gilmore have been arguing for the abolition of prisons for decades. But if you want to further educate yourself, we asked 11 scholars, lawyers, and activists what books they recommend for those seeking a deeper understanding.
- Friday, Aug 7, 2020Eddie Glaude on How Baldwin Confronted America's Most Exceptional Lie
- Tuesday, Aug 4, 2020
On The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Eddie S. Glaude Jr. discusses examining present-day America through the lens of James Baldwin: “At the end of the day, he wants to insist that we be true to ourselves, that we tell the truth about what we’ve done so that we can free ourselves into imagining being together differently.”
- Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020With calls for “defunding police” on the rise, invisible, tech-mediated surveillance continues to penetrate every area of our lives – workplaces, schools, hospitals, and of course policing itself. How does this relate to a longer history of surveilling Black life and how are people mobilizing against this New Jim Code?
- Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020A daughter's memoir grapples with grief and love
- Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020For Trina Swanson ’20 and her colleagues at the JUST DATA Lab, data is a means more than an end. Founded by Professor Ruha Benjamin (African American Studies), a member of the Center for Digital Humanities (CDH) Executive Board, the JUST DATA Lab aims both to analyze data within its historical and social contexts and to deploy it to advance justice and equality.
- Friday, Jul 24, 2020So I'm here now to offer 10 powerful books by Black authors that deal with race in America that you can actually get your hands on.
- Friday, Jul 24, 2020In the midst of a moral reckoning, America needs a third founding.
- Friday, Jul 24, 2020Barbara Smith and the Black feminist visionaries of the Combahee River Collective.
- Friday, Jul 24, 2020
In conversation with Don Cheadle. Don Cheadle is an award-winning actor, author, and activist.