PIIRS regularly provides funding to support doctoral students interested in conducting pre-dissertation or dissertation research during the winter recess.
- Mon, Mar 1, 2021 (All day)
- Sun, Nov 15, 2020 (All day)
- Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 4:30 pm
- Fri, Oct 16, 2020, 3:00 pm
- Wednesday, Oct 21, 2020
Reading is just one aspect of allyship, and it certainly is not the final step. Use these resources for good. Discuss them with others. Share them. Listen to your black friends, black co-workers, and black peers. Take action. Donate. Take an AAS class. Send emails. Have difficult conversations. Protest.
- Tue, Oct 6, 2020, 4:30 pm
In this hour-long discussion, African American studies faculty will offer candid reflections on the academic job and fellowship market. From the vantage point of both applicants and search committees, they will provide practical advice about cover letters, job interviews, and job talks, and discuss issues like managing expectations, assessing opportunities, and balancing personal and professional goals. Graduate students at all levels are encouraged to attend.
- Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 4:30 pm
Interested in African American studies and/or education policy? Curious about what the decolonization of the classroom looks like? Do you want to know what the politics of the curriculum vitae are and how we can combat them? Join the research associates from the summer seminar, “Imagining A Higher Education Career in African American Studies,” for a panel discussion on Friday, 9/25 at 4:30 pm ET where we will explore these topics and more, as we imagine the possibilities of a higher education career in African American studies!
- Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020Boseman's influence extended beyond the industry. Through all of his movies he inspired moviegoers around the world, challenging preconceived ideas about who we could be. The countless stories of Black children elated by seeing Black Panther on screen reflect the power and potential of cinema. Boseman represented that power and that potential.
- Fri, Sep 18, 2020, 1:00 pm
Limited enrollment in each workshop; sign up early.
- Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 9:00 amIn this workshop, we'll circumvent the paradox by using readers' expectations of language, science, and argument to analyze the elements of effective proposals.