Important Benchmark Dates for Junior Papers and Senior Theses, 2018-2019
The department provides a detailed calendar for concentrators and their advisers each year. The following timelines for the JP and thesis provide benchmarks for the completion of independent work.
Meet with your adviser (no later than Friday, February 8) to:
- discuss your prospectus
- discuss how frequently you will meet, and the best ways to check in
- plan your next research/writing task.
Week 4 -
Submit partial first draft (perhaps one major section) to your adviser (no later than Friday, March 1).
Students receive first drafts back, with comments from advisers (no later than Friday, March 8).
Submit partial second draft to your adviser (no later than Friday, March 29).
Students receive second drafts back, with comments from advisers (no later than Friday, April 5).
Submit third and mostly complete draft to your adviser (no later than Friday, April 19).
Students receive third drafts back, with comments from advisers (no later than Friday, April 26)
Tuesday, May 7, 2019
FINAL Junior Paper uploaded by 5:00 p.m. You will receive a link and instructions on how to upload the paper to WebSpace.
Schedule meeting with an adviser to discuss thesis topic and plan for the semester, including tentative meeting times (no later than Friday, September 14).
Submit five-page thesis proposal to adviser (no later than Friday, October 12).
The proposal should include:
- description of topic, scope of the project, and methodological approach you plan to take
- discussion of how your coursework at Princeton or elsewhere has prepared you to pursue the topic
- a brief survey of sources and discussion of the kinds of evidence you plan to use
- a discussion of the contribution your work will make to the existing scholarship in your area
- a preliminary bibliography
- a preliminary writing plan or chapter outline
Submit partial first draft (twenty pages) to adviser
Submit draft of additional twenty pages to adviser
Submit draft of additional twenty pages to adviser , no later than Friday, February 15).
Submit draft of entire thesis to your adviser, no later than Friday, March 29.
Upload your thesis via the Thesis Central Senior Thesis Submission System to the University Archives, and submit 2 unbound hard copies to the Department Assistant (email@example.com), by April 19 at 12:00 noon.
Submit Senior Comprehensive Statement and Honors Calculation to the Department Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 12:00pm.
Students receive comments from first and second readers
Senior Comprehensive Oral Exams – BLOCK BOTH DAYS ON YOUR CALENDAR