2020-2021 Postdoctoral Positions
The Department of African American Studies at Princeton University invites applications from pre-tenure scholars and recent Ph.D. graduates in all disciplines for two postdoctoral or more senior research positions. These positions will be awarded for the academic year 2020-2021 to emerging scholars who will devote their nine-month residency at Princeton to writing about race in the national or global contexts and, with the approval of the Dean of the Faculty, to teaching one semester-long undergraduate course. Teaching opportunities will be subject to sufficient course enrollments, and when teaching, the successful candidate will hold the additional rank of Lecturer. Ph.D. in relevant discipline required.
Postdoctoral scholars will also participate with department faculty members and affiliated graduate students in a seminar devoted to the discussion of work in progress. In addition, they will be invited to participate in other programs, including seminars, colloquia, and public lectures and will enjoy access to Firestone Library and to a wide range of activities throughout the University. Applicants should have received the doctorate within the past five years and cannot be in the process of writing a dissertation. The term for these positions extends from September 1, 2020 until June 1, 2021 ; a competitive salary will be provided.
This position is subject to the University’s background check policy. A selection committee of Department of African American Studies faculty members evaluates applicants on the basis of:
- the significance of their proposed research and its relevance to the purposes of the department;
- the quality of their previous research and their ability to benefit from the activities of the department;
- the contribution they are likely to make to higher education in the future through teaching and writing about race.
How To Apply
Applicants must submit all of the following information by December 13, 2019, 11:59 p.m. EST.
- a curriculum vitae;
- a scholarly paper written in the past three years;
- a statement of no more than 1,500 words describing the proposed research project;
- uploaded contact information for three references (at least one from someone who was not a dissertation supervisor);
- syllabi for three undergraduate courses
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Candidates must apply online at http://dof.princeton.edu/academicjobs.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information or questions, please contact:
Jana Johnson, Department Assistant